I am one of those people that rarely goes to the doctor. I pretty much have to be on deaths door before I go to a doctor(and even then I might wait a few weeks).

I am an insurance companies wet dream. I am a guaranteed profit.

With all that said, I went to Cigna's urgent care(my insurance provider) due to an eye infection that was going on for nearly 3 weeks or longer. The doctor prescribed eye drops and waived the $50 dollar charge for the visit.

Cigna, in all of its generosity, denied any subsidy for the eye drops that cost $100 dollars and then decided to charge me the full price for the Urgent Care visit. For this year alone, I have Paid over $1000 for their insurance and this was my only visit. So what is the point of health insurance if it doesn't cover anything medical. I was better off back when I was uninsured.

This wasn't cosmetic or a lifestyle choice. My eyelids were swelled out to the point that I looked like someone punched me in the face. Luckily, I have recently quit my current job and will soon be starting somewhere else that has cheaper insurance. Will the coverage be better?

I have no idea, but it will be cheaper which is closer to being uninsured which in this current day and age seems to be the best solution. Who needs death panels when we have insurance companies?

Review about: Cigna Health Insurance.

Comments

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States #787360

:upset :upset :upset :upset :upset :upset thats upseting to hear.

I don't think you understand how health insurance works. Regardless of how much you pay for your premiums, virtually all insurance plans have some some element of cost-sharing (i.e. copays, deductibles, co-insurance). Since you rarely go to the doctor, you likely have not met your plan deductible for the year.

Also, you stated that the doctor waived the $50 office visit charge, then went on to say that Cigna charged you for it. Again, I don't believe you understand how this all works. The insurer cannot "charge" you for the visit. If the doctor waived it, then you don't have to pay it. I'm guessing you received an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) from the insurer that stated you were responsible for the $50. However, this is not a bill.

In fact, if a doctor submits an insurance claim to your insurer for fees that you were not actually charged, that would potentially be insurance fraud on the part of the doctor.

Furthermore, the eye drops are probably covered under your prescription benefit, which you may or may not have, and if you do, the coverage levels could be different.

Insurance is a gamble. You pay them a lot of money in case you need it. Insurance premiums are money you should be happy to waste, because it means you didn't need it. You can elect not to receive coverage and save the money, but then you have no right to complain if you fall ill or have an accident and incur fees in excess of what you would have been responsible for if you were insured.