I'm a former employee of Cigna HealthCare and I wanted to write a review to inform everyone of how horrendous this company actually is.

First of all I want to start with Customer service. The employees that take your calls only receive one week of training, ONE WEEK!

They are forced to answer the calls as quickly as possible. They are told to say whatever they have to to get you off the phone and take the next call. When they inform you that they will "get back to" its ***. You will never receive a call back.

They are not even given the time to research the problem to get an answer for you. Our billing department has about a 30 day backup-meaning you send in your payment and it doesn't post for another 25 days since you mailed it, then you're in danger of being termed for non-pay, chances are it is our fault. When you are told that we have a "5 business day turn-around" thats also a crock. When you fax, or send in something, it will be lost.

If there is a piece of information missing from the form you send in, someone will shred it so they don't have to follow up with you. Most of the employees will do whatever they can to get out of doing work.

It's truly the most repulsive company out there and I feel really sorry for any of you who carry them as your provider.

Comments

That comment is nail-on-the-head true. I've been dealing with premium payment issues with Cigna for 4 months now and still haven't gotten a resolve. I have faxed I'm all paperwork and they still refuse to resolve my issue.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #666100

I get that people can be upset with companies and specifically insurance companies, but in this case I believe it to be warranted. My wife was recently let go from Cigna after just under 2 painful years.

She is a very kind and caring person and would come home distraught 2 or 3 times a week because she got in trouble for going over her call time because she was being too helpful. She worked in the mental health part of the call center so she'd take a lot of calls from people on the *** of suicide or parents dealing with the loss of a child. Even when taking calls from someone crying and needing guidance, she was being pressured to do whatever she had to to get off the phone and on to the next call. It was almost as if they had customer service just so they could say they had customer service.

I think the worst part about the job were the supervisors. They were only accountable for making sure the employees were taking 80+ phone calls a day, but nothing about quality of service. The people that were supposed to be guiding and teaching her and hopefully helping her move up in the company, only cared about their call total quota and then doing as little work as possible. Occasionally, her supervisor would act like she cared when corporate was stopping by for a visit.

I was hoping she'd move on from this company or at least the people she was working with at some point, but never expected her to be let go. Either way, I'm glad she's out and can hopefully find a company to work for that won't punish her for having compassion.

I have been employed with Kraft Foods for 12 years. My universal Group Life Ins premium comes right out of my check.

I have had 3 major spinal surgeries which have left me disabled. The bills for premiums continued to come to my home. I paid every premium, every quarter. Never missed a payment.

Yesterday I got the premium bills for my husband and myself, and the premiums jumped up 400.00. What the?? I have been trying to reach a customer service rep and cannot. I received nothing from Cigna telling me that my premiums would increase.

We cannot afford to pay the extra 400.00.

I guess all of the money I have paid for 12 years is gone; just gone...I'm horrified. I am seeking legal help.

I happen to handle over 85 different health insurance plans every day. CIGNA is not a horrible nightmare.

They are held to State and Federal regulations as are ALL the rest. If you are having a complaint, there are correct and proper channels to get it resolved. Most of the time, in researching these issues, we find that the channels were not followed, a doctor did not submit clinical information or the correct CPT code or request, or something has caused a glitch in the process. For the woman with a bulging disc, these rarely require surgery, and even if you had zero therapy it will eventually heal on it's own.

If you are unhappy with your insurance copay, your employer dictates that when they shop for insurance. Copays are all pretty standard across the industry. People should be somewhat skeptical of "former employee" reports. Obviously she was rather unhappy.

Would she feel the same if she were still there and doing well? Insurance isn't the enemy, not understanding what your plan might be the bigger problem.

to Munchkin #627298

FYI, BULGING/HERNIATED DISC DO NOT HEAL ON THIER OWN!! WHAT MEDICAL DEGREE DO U HAVE??

IF CIGNA IS SO GREAT, YOU SHOULD TRY THEM OUT!!! HOPE YOU DONT GET A HERNIATED DISC, IF YOU DO GET READY FOR A YEAR OF MISERY.

CAUSE CIGNA REQUIRES YOU TO BE IN PAIN FOR 12 MONTHS BEFORE THEY APPROVE SURGERY!! I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT CIGNA IS SO GREAT CONSIDERING I HAVE READ COMPLAINT AFTER COMPLAINT AFTER COMPLAINT AFTER COMPLAINT.....ON THIS WEBSITE ALONE THERE ARE OVER 100 COMPLAINTS.

daveb821
to Munchkin Johnstown, Pennsylvania, United States #1173259

You are obviously an imbecile or a current employee trying to boost Cigna's public image - well good luck with than. Cigna has been sued and fined more than any other comparable insurance company and were declared the worst insurance company in the US for 2015.

I have been dealing with this immoral company for over 4 years and have been lied to over and over again. The most recent lie was that they were sending my appeal for an INDEPENDENT MEDICAL REVIEW only to find out that it was being reviewed by another Cigna doctor who had never seen the file before. Bulging discs don't heal on their own and surgery is very often required - I know as I have 4 bulging disc and have had one disc fused. You should keep your ignorant medical opinions to yourself.

You are a perfect representative for this company. How can you people sleep at night knowing about the lives you destroy?

CIGNA, filled clain Oct 8, to date they have not processed or paid the clain for copd condx Im 8o and cant afford expenses

Had to have hip surgery as my femur was being displaced off its socket by bone spurs (growth)due to osteoarthritis of the hip after my second appeal which was denied because according to them the surgery was not needed, this after I provided them with 2 separate sets of x-rays and doctor's diagnoses. Crooks and thieves

My company uses Cigna as it's insurance carrier. I had a heart attack last year and have been in and out of hosp since with issues.

It's so much stress just dealing with them trying to get something paid. I've been admitted through the ER and as soon as I get out I'm back on the phone talking to agencies trying to get me to pay what Cigna doesn't want to. Call Cigna, then appeal this and that.

It's just too much. This company is ridiculous.

Prior to May 1. 2011, we had Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas and were forced to join Cigna by the City of Houston and Annisse Parker, the mayor.

In July of 2010, my wife learned that she had a sarcoma and urgent surgery was needed to save her life. BCBS took care of everything. Treatment went on, and on May 1, 2011, when we went to Cigna, everything changed. We were denied treatments until we contacted Cigna only to find out that thay only approve some treatments and rely on third party providers (someone who no one is aware of and cannot speak to) for approval.

CareCentrix and Med Solutions are a just a couple of the myriad of third party administrators who have your life in their hands, and you can\'t talk to them. Only Cigna or your doctor can talk to them. Then they charge you directly for what they do, which is coordinate Cigna benefits with the doctor/hospital and determine if Cigna should approve or deny a claim. We went through this process when we got a prescription for a prosthetic leg.

Cigna denied it and blamed the denial on Linkia, another third party provider, who then told us that they do not approve or deny claims for Cigna; they only provide coordination of benefits with in-network providers. Then when they say \"In-Network\", Linkia means only those providers that they are promoting that month. We had already gone to TMC Orthotics for assessment, and Linkia said that we had to go to Hangers Orhtotics, even though TMC is one of their providers. After spending hours on the phone, I found out that Linkia does not approve or disapprove benefits, that they only direct patients to whatever provider they believe may work, and the final approval is completely up to Cigna.

We then find out that the glitch was that TMC Orthotics faxed the assessment and prognosis and costs to Cigna, who then shreds it because it didn\'t come through Linkia. Once that glitch was discovered, the benefit was approved. Now she is due for a CT scan next week to follow up on the cancer treatment, and Cigna denied the precertification without reason. Calling Cigna, Amanda tells me that Cigna neither approves or denies benefits, that it is the responsibility of Med Solutions out of Tennessee, but she believes that they will not talk with patients under any circumstances.

She calls the doctor\'s office who requested the CT scan and tells them that they have to contact Med Solutions. They in turn contact Med Solutions who demand a peer-to-peer talk with her oncologist. The diagnosis, prognosis, blood work, previous scans, and other reports mean nothing to them. They are th road block to treatment.

This is where Cigna is: It is their job to collect health insurance premiums, refer everything to third party administrators who are accountable to no one and use them as road blocks to recovery for any paitent. Then the third party administrators bill you for being the road block. This is a cost that is not expected, and if you don\'t pay, the third party administrator sends it to collections within 60 days of billing. But Cigna didn\'t do it, so it\'s not their fault.

And when you try to talk with the Cigna associate, they have very minimal information regarding your case but are very rapid at assigning responsibility to a third party adminitrator which they cannot help you with. Cigna truly sucks!!

They, alone, have exponentially increase the cost of health care for us, and they didn\'t even try. now that is amazing.

My family and I have had Cigna insurance for over 20 years. Like all companys, the people make the company what it is.

Cigna is a fine reputable insurance provider. I have had several glitches, as is what happens in the real world with Cigna and every thing else. Its part of life folks. There is nothing personal and these employees do not make commission from not paying your claims.

Demand an "AUDIT" as is your legal right if you think you have been slighted and get that "AUDIT CONFIRMATION NUMBER." You will recieve a complete and detailed EOB you can review and plan your next step of resolving any issues. Allow 3 to 5 weeks for the audit and call with your audit number to ckeck on the statis of your account.Give the audit number to your healthcare providers and they can call Cigna also to check on the audit. the Audit puts the company on notice that they have made a final decision and you then contact a good insurance attorney to study your case if you do not agree.

Legal fees will be paid by Cigna as well as your claim, (if there is a mistake), so an AUDIT statement is very serious to both the Cigna side and your side. Be patient and good luck to those of you that need help.

daveb821
to THE REAL DEAL Johnstown, Pennsylvania, United States #1173266

REAL DEAL? Maybe if you work for the public relations department of Cigna and don't care about your personal integrity.

Don't take my word for it people - just goggle "Cigna sucks" or just keep reading.

I can tell you from personal experience that all the horror stories are very true. This company has been ordered by courts of law to STOP paying bonuses to employees for denying claims.

Years ago, we tried in vain for months and months to submit paperwork to CIGNA to increase my husbands employee life insurance policy. They "never received any paperwork" was always the story we got.

Always a different person, each person would have no history of ever talking to me or what was going on.

It was crazy and so upsetting. Finally, we gave up and took out a private policy.

This former employee speaks total truth. I deal with several insurance companies but when having to work out what has happened in Cigna International's constant errors, phoning them is like a trip to the Twilight Zone.

If you have something that for any other insurance provider would take 2 minutes, you end up on the phone for half an hour, and then find out they've given you wrong information. It's madness, I don't understand how they stay in business.

AREN'T THERE ANY LAWYERS THAT WANT PRO-BONO WORK - PEOPLE OF CIGNA NEED SOMEONE THAT IS MORE POWERFUL TO HELP THEM BE HEARD AND NOT PASSED OVER AND GIVEN THE RUN AROUND AND BULLY THE CONSUMER TO GET BACK TO WORK BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO PAY OUT EVEN THOUGH DOCTOR HAS SIGNED OUT MINIMUM OF 8 WEEKS AND AGAIN CONSUMER PURCHASES AND PAYS FOR COVERAGE SO THEY CAN AVOID AFTER TWO WEEKS OF BEING HARRASSED AND TOLD THEN CAN GO BACK TO WORK AND CLAIM WILL BE STOPPED? ISN'T SHORT TERM DISABILITY UP TO 12 WEEKS????

HOW CAN A COMPANY THAT SELLS SHORT TERM DISABILITY NOT KNOW THE RULES AND CHALLENGE A SPECIALIST LIKE CIGNA DOES...LAST TIME I CHECKED CIGNA WASN'T DOCTORS OF GODS?????

HOW DOES THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU ALLOW THEM TO STAY IN BUSINESS??? SO IF YOU ANYONE IS OUT THERE HELP US!!!!!

Jennifer00 = disgruntled employee. Real mature of you to bash your former employer all over the internet, I've seen this post in multiple places. I hope your next potential employer realizes how UN-professional you are before they make the mistake of hiring you.

Yes, I\'m in complete agreement with the \"Cigna Worst Company Ever\" slogan. I\'m trying a conservative approach to healing my bulging disc, by trying physical therapy first, before something drastic like surgery.

Anyway today was my first session , and afterwards I find out that it will be a $50 co pay EVERY visit(2X Weekly,per month). Needless to say I won\'t be going back.. and in the end Cigna will pay a Surgeon, and all healthcare professionals in a hospital setting for surgery.

Instead of trying a common sense approach to the situation. I am pissed, I hope my husband finds a new insurance company to deal with.

We used to have cigna dental ins at work, It got to the point in our area that Dentist would tell you to go to another Dentist . They didn\'t want to accept cigna ins. Thank God , our company finally changed carriers.

kimberlie

Cigna is the worst company.

SINCE I FIRST TRIED TO GET AND KEEP INSURANCE WITH CIGNA MEDICARE ACCESS FOR MEDICAL AND PHARMACY INSURANCE IN DECEMBER 2008 THEY HAVE INCORRECTLY ENTERED, FILED, INCORRECTLY FILED INFORMATION WITHIN THE COMPANY , THEY INCORRECTLY BILLED SOCIAL SECURITY TO PAY MY PREMIUMS, INCORRECTLY STOPPED PAYMENT FOR MY MONTHLY PREMIUMS FOUR TIMES IN ONE YEAR AND THRICE THIS YEAR , AND DELETED MY INSURANCE FOR THEIR MISTAKES SEVEN TIMES . ALL ERRORS WERE ACKNOWLEDGED BY COMPANY ADVOCATE TODAY AFTER ""CORRECTED"" BY SIX RESPONSIBLE SUPERVISORS AND FOURTEEN RESPONSIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES NUMEROUS TIMES.

NOW AFTER THEY TOLD ME TO WAIT TO PAY MONEY, THEY WANT ME TO PAY $670. 00 NOW OR LOSE MY INSURANCE AND GET NO INSURANCE UNTIL DECEMBER 2010.

I HAVE HAD NOTHING IN WAY OF PAYMENT OR SERVICE IN OVER A YEAR , BUT HAVE PAID OVER $ 800 IN MONTHLY PREMIUMS TO BE PAID BY SOCIAL SECURITY AND $300 PAID BY SOCIAL SECURITY INSPITE OF CIGNAS FRAUD, MISTAKES , AND ERRORS AFTER CIGNA FALSFIFIED MY INFORMATION AND NOW ADMITTED THEIR FALSIFIED INFORMATION AND MULTIPLE MISTAKES. NOW THEY SAY PAYUP, THERE IS NOTHING MORE WE CAN DO , OUR MISTAKES AND ERRORS ARE NOT OUR PROBLEM , THEY ARE YOUR HEADACHE AND FINANCIAL PROBLEM.